- Program: Volunteer Costa Rica
- Location: San Ramon
- Minimum Duration: 3 Weeks
- Language Requirement: Intermediete Spanish
- Airport Pick-up: $75
- Suitable for Groups: No
- Travel Insurance: No, but mandatory
- Local Language Class: 1 Week Included
- Region: Alajuela
- Project Site: Special Needs Center
- Minimum Age: 18
- Accommodation: Volunteer Dormitory
- Meals Included: 2 Meals - Monday to Friday
- Suitable for Families: No
- Start Dates: Every Other Friday
- Closed Dates: See program guide
As a special needs volunteer in Costa Rica, you’ll work at one of three dedicated centers in San Ramon. You will be providing educational and practical support for children and adults with special needs. The centers are partly government-funded but under-resourced; with your help, special needs students will receive the care attention they deserve.
The local centers provide a basic education and other services such as art classes, language therapy and vocational training for students with various special needs, including blindness, autism and Asperger’s syndrome. Volunteers assist teachers with classes and provide learning support for students, as well as organizing fun and enriching activities. To find out more about becoming a special needs volunteer, download our program brochure.
Join the uVolunteer Special Needs Program and provide educational and practical support for children and adults with special needs like blindess and autism. Working at one of three partly government-funded facilities in San Ramon, you’ll assist teachers with lessons, supervise students at mealtimes and recess, organize stimulating activities and provide general care and attention.
Valentina's Video Report
Special Needs Program volunteers work four days per week, from Monday to Thursday. Working hours are from 8am until 2-3pm.
Journey to Project
The special needs center is a 30 minute walk from our volunteer dormitory.