Welcome to uVolunteer
We are a small boutique provider of safe and culturally insightful volunteer work placements overseas.
Our program is centered on working with local projects and institutions in need of assistance in Costa Rica, Ghana & Thailand. Most of our participants travel individually to the program but live as a group with other like-minded travellers from all over the world.
We accommodate volunteers in our purposefully created volunteer houses called our ‘dorms’. They are called dorms because volunteers share rooms and sleep in bunk beds dormitory style.
Our Beliefs: Education, Youth Development, Travel & Culture
Our Mission: To make you see the world from a different perspective and learn!
uVolunteer started as a one country (Costa Rica) program in 2006. Our founder Nathaniel Amponsah (Nat) quit his job and the corporate rat race of London and travelled to Latin America to start the program.
Nat was inspired to create the volunteer organization during his time volunteering and working in Thailand. He credits this period of his life as a life-changing experience that gave him the courage to step of his comfort zone and to follow his dreams.
The dream was to create a volunteer program that was:
- Affordable, we did not say cheap!
- Based around group living, so that you can travel alone but not be alone
- Personal, we want to get to know all of you as friends and family
- Purposeful, we want to provide meaningful projects and enable our volunteers to explore new destinations and gain real world experiences
And so uVolunteer was born.
Focusing on 3 destinations and with our very own staff working locally in each destination, we are able to build strong and successful links with the local community while providing our volunteers with daily 24/7 support.
This formula has proved to be a recipe for success and we continue to send hundreds of volunteers on the journey of a lifetime each year.
Today uVolunteer provides:
- Cultural & skills exchange, through direct voluntary action
- Safe international travel, especially for 1st time & single female travellers
- Opportunities of authentic, down-to-earth life-changing experiences